Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Why I don't watch rated R movies

I might be the only adult on the planet who won't watch rated R movies...or at least it feels that way. I even get a heavy sigh from my hubby from time to time when he sees the previews for a movie that peeks his interest...and I shoot it down when I see the R rating. I get giggles and side glances from friends and family when I tell them I'd rather not watch the R rated movie they just picked. I've heard it before...the gasps, the questions and the teasing. Yes, I'm an adult. Yes, I love watching movies. And yes, I can still enjoy a great movie without compromising.

So, before I explain myself, I'd like to start with this...I don't judge people for watching rated R movies...because let's face it...most people do. (and that's a crap load of judging that I don't have time for) So please know that I'm not shaming anyone for watching a rated R movie. I'm simply explaining why I don't. :)

The Bible tells us in multiple places that our heart is directly connected to what we surround ourselves with.

Luke 6:45
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.

What we put in, is what will come out. This is a big reason why I avoid rated R movies. It's just my way of protecting my heart. If you continually watch movies with crude jokes and vulgar language...you risk two things - First, you risk the chances of taking on the kind of language you constantly hear. Second, you risk becoming desensitized. The more you surround yourself with vulgar language and crude jokes, the less they bother you. This isn't a place you want to be.

Ephesians 4:29-30
Let no unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building up the one in need and bringing grace to those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, in whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

I truly do feel that sexual jokes and swearing grieve the Holy Spirit. I feel extremely uncomfortable when I'm watching a movie and this stuff is in there. This is also a huge reason why I don't watch too many comedians or listen to certain bands. I don't want to get to the place where I become OK or comfortable hearing these things. And I know a lot of my readers are probably shaking their heads and thinking that I'm a major goody-two-shoes right about now...but these are the convictions God has laid on my heart. This verse truly says it all for me...

Proverbs 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.

I want everything I do to be a testimony of my life with Christ. Anything that can jeopardize my integrity, my testimony and my walk with God isn't worth it. 90 minutes of laughter and crude jokes isn't worth it to me. This is my own conviction. I'm not saying that every person who watches rated R movies is a horrible person. Please don't twist my words. What I am saying, is that today...right now...more than ever before, we as Christians have to fight with all our might to guard our hearts and protect our convictions from being corrupted by the world. So, take this post into consideration and do with it what you will. This is just some food for thought, from a small town goody-two-shoes pastor's daughter...just keepin' it real ya'll. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment