Friday, July 22, 2016

DIY Friday: Lavender Bath Salts


I used to find bath salts to be completely useless. I thought they were full of hype...until I discovered Young Living essential oils and I fell down the hippy dippy hole of all things natural and holistic. ;) It turns out that Epsom salt is completely amazeballs all by itself...so when you throw in some essential oils...it's down right awesome sauce. And the best part is that you can make Epsom salt baths with whatever oils you want, so the sky is the limit. You can use Stress Away for a stress relieving bath. You can use Peppermint or Copaiba for a nice post-workout bath to loosen up those sore muscles. You can even get a little crazy and make some Ylang Ylang bath salts. (Your husband will thank you generously) But today I'm going to share my most popular bath salt recipe, which is Lavender.

I became quite obsessed with the smell of a Lavender bedtime bath shampoo by a certain name brand Baby bath company (Cough* It starts with a Johnson and ends with a Johnson. *Cough) Then I discovered how very toxic their products are. So...what's a mom to do with two little kiddos who need a nice calming bath before bed to sleep well?? Hello, Lavender! We threw out the name brand lavender bath shampoo and now use Lavender bath salts for the bedtime effect. (For the shampoo and body wash, I use Young Living's KidScents line...it's toxic free!) Epsom salts are perfectly fine for babies and kiddos, however you do want to make sure that they aren't drinking a ton of bath water with the salts. It can upset their tummy if they ingest too much of it.

How do you make it? It's easy! I fill a mason jar with Epsom salt, then I dump the salt into a large bowl. I add 5 to 10 drops of Young Living's Lavender essential oil (emphasis on the YOUNG LIVING part. I do NOT recommend using any other brand, especially on babies!) You mix that all together, making sure the oils are spread evenly, then pour it back into the mason jar, and you've got your bath salts! I use about a half cup for each bath. You can enjoy it yourself or use it for the kiddos. Change up the scent by switching out the Lavender for whatever oil you choose.

Want to order some Lavender? Grab some here

If you discover an incredible combination of oils for bath salts that you just can't keep to yourself, let me know in the comments! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment